Nav Bar

Image Map Home About Me Pinterest Noteworthy Books

Thursday, May 15, 2014

My First Post- The Sneetches

Many have pinned my Sneetches bulletin board from Pinterest.  The link to my pinterest page is on the navigation bar.  You will find this and many other fabulous resources!
This bulletin board was inspired by Dr. Seuss' famous  story, The Sneetches.   I used this book to teach about fairness and prejudice with my first grade students.  We started with a discussion about what those two words meant.  Then I gave half of them stars and told them only the people with stars got recess today.  We talked about how that made them feel.  Outraged of course!  I then introduced the book and said I know of a story where something like this happened...I then read the story and we discussed it.  Although prejudice is a complex theme for a first grader, they got it.  Buy the book!  It is great for your counselor, teacher or parent collection.  Here are the American School Counselor Association standards that it addresses: 


Eligible Content/ASCA Standards:
PS-A1.2- Identify values, attitudes and beliefs.
PS-A1.6- Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate behavior.
PS-A2.8 Learn how to make and keep friends.
PS-C1.3 Learn about the differences between appropriate and inappropriate physical contact.


Not a member of ASCA?  Join today at  http://www.schoolcounselor.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment